Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Story of TVBoy! (1st Draft)

After weeks of reading Gamasutra (Gamasutra - The Art And Business of Making Games), trying to stay updated with the latest tech and trend of games and watching tons of mind-fuck movies, I've finally come up with a story idea for TVBoy!. I will vaguely list down where I get my inspiration from without giving away too much spoilers:

Games
Breath of Fire II

Final Fantasy 7

La Pucelle Tactics

BioShock


Castlevania: Symphony of the Night


Heavy Rain

Shadow of the Colossus

Movies
The Triangle
Time Crimes
Time Machine
Star Wars
Stranger Than Fiction
Romeo And Juliet
Back To The Future
I, Robot

That's roughly it. You probably guessed that I watched a lot of movies compared to playing games, because I don't have the luxury of time and console to play the games I love for instance long RPGs with heavy storyline. I'm using the 3 Act structure to tell a story, although it's impossible to follow the ratio. To give you, my audiences a taste of what the story is about, in point forms:
  1. Tragic love story
  2. Time travelling
  3. Parallel realities
  4. Multiple ending
  5. Breaking the fourth wall (Fourth Wall)
  6. Chaos theory (Chaos Theory)
With that in mind, I'm trying to create a rule/law for game characters similar to Isaac Asimov's Three Law (Three Laws of Robotics):

  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey any orders given to it by human beings, except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Here's my original idea for the laws that govern TVBoy! the game:
  1. TVBoy must not deviate from his own predetermined storyline.
  2. TVBoy can break the fourth wall but must not be in conflict with the first law.
  3. TVBoy must not cause a butterfly effect (Butterfly Effect), because there is only 1 ending to the story, no matter what his actions are.
The idea here is that, if one of my laws were broken by the player playing TVBoy, it will cause a rippling effect on the story, therefore creating a whole new parallel dimension in television. The emotional impact that I'm trying to pass on is déjà vu (Deja Vu) and immersion (Immersion in Virtual Reality). More to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment